225 g self raising Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
50 g butter or margarine
150 mls milk
A little extra milk or egg/milk mixture to glaze (optional)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220 °c/Gas Mark 7
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
3. Add the butter or margarine in small pieces and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Using a table knife, stir in the milk until a soft dough is formed.
5. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and pat down until it is a 2 cm thickness.
6. Cut into rounds with a cutter – do not twist the cutter – and place on a baking sheet.
7. Brush with milk or the egg/milk glaze (if using)
8. Bake for 20 minutes until golden and risen, and ‘hollow’ when tapped.