1 medium sized onion
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon oil
1 x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
50 split red lentils
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 vegetable stock cube
600 mls very hot water
1 teaspoon mixed herbs OR 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1. Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan over a gentle heat and sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until slightly soft. Stir from time to time with a wooden spoon.
3. Add all the other ingredients and bring the soup up to a simmer.
4. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring from time to time.
5. Remove the saucepan of soup from the heat and blend very carefully with an electric hand blender.
6. Add a little more hot water if the soup is too thick and re-heat before serving.
Serve with toasted cheese sandwiches or topped with homemade croutons.