175 g porridge oats
50 g wholemeal flour plus a little extra for rolling
¼ teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon Cornish seasalt flakes
1 dessertspoon caster sugar
50 g butter
Approximately 75 mls water
1. Preheat the oven to 180 c / Gas mark 4.
2. Place the porridge oats in a food processor and blitz briefly to a finer texture.
3. Place the oats into a mixing bowl with the wholemeal flour, baking powder, thyme, Cornish seasalt flakes and caster sugar and stir to mix thoroughly.
4. Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
5. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the butter then half of the water.
6. Stir to mix with a table knife and add the rest of the water a little at a time until the dough comes together into a stiff but not sticky dough.
7. Dust the surface of the worktop with a little flour and form the dough to a flat disc.
8. Roll out the dough to a 4 – 5 mm thickness then cut into circles with a plain pastry cutter, 5 – 6 cm in diameter.
9. Using a palette knife gently lift the biscuits onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
10. Bake for approximately 20 minutes then remove from the oven, carefully turn over, then return to cook for a further 10 minutes until lightly golden and firm to the touch.
11. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with a few more seasalt flakes.
12. Cool completely then store in an airtight tin.
Apr 28th 2022
Nov 22nd 2021
Nov 22nd 2021
Oct 26th 2021