1 large onion
4 cloves garlic
Oil for frying
2 x 500 g cartons passata
2 generous tablespoons tomato puree
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 chicken breasts
1 x 30 g pack fresh basil
2 x balls fresh mozzarella
50 – 75 g parmesan
Salt and pepper to season
¼ to ½ red or white cabbage, depending on size
4 spring onions
1. Peel and finely slice the onion.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wide sauté pan and fry the onion until beginning to soften.
3. Peel and crush the garlic then add to the onion and cook for a further few minutes taking care not to let the garlic brown or burn.
4. Add the passata and tomato puree then add the sugar and season well with salt and pepper.
5. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 20 – 30 minutes until thickened, stirring from time to time.
6. Meanwhile split the chicken breasts in half horizontally and season each side well with salt and pepper.
7. Heat a little more oil in a frying pan and sauté 2 – 3 pieces at a time until both sides of the chicken breast are golden. Remove the pieces to a plate between batches.
8. Wash and dry the basil and remove the tough woody stems. Pick off the leaves and shred (chiffonade) finely.
9. Drain the mozzarella and tear each ball into small pieces.
10.Finely grate the parmesan.
11. When the sauce is very thick, spread half over the base of a shallow ovenproof dish.