Once again, the Cookery School have been helping the ‘Shell Out to Help Out’ campaign by filming easy, nutritious and thrifty family recipes that use as many eggs as possible.
Why not do your bit and have a go at their recipe below and let us know how you got on at: [email protected]
View this post on Instagram
100 g plain flour
1 large red onion
2 tablespoons oil
8 Cumberland (or similar) good quality sausages
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or similar
Small bunch fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220˚c/ gas mark 7
2. To make the batter, sift the flour and salt into a small bowl.
3. Make a well in the centre, exposing the bottom of the bowl and break the eggs into the well.
4. Using a wooden spoon, mix the eggs together gently then gradually draw in the flour from the sides as you mix, adding just enough milk to the egg to make a smooth paste.
5. When all the flour has been incorporated, stir in the remaining milk. Cover the bowl and chill for about 30 minutes.
6. Carefully peel and slice the onion.
7. Melt the butter in a small saucepan then add the onion and plenty of salt and pepper.
8. Cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes taking care to stir occasionally so that the onion does not stick and burn.
9. Heat the oil in an ovenproof shallow dish in the oven. When really hot, add the sausages turn in the hot fat and put in the oven for about 5 minutes.
10. Turn the sausages and return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
11. Add the mustard to the batter and re-mix then pour it over the sausages.
12. Scatter over the softened onion then wash, dry and rip up the sage leaves and scatter over the surface of the sausages in batter (or sprinkle over the dried sage.
13. Bake on the top shelf of the oven for about 25 minutes or until the toad in the hole is risen and brown.
Apr 28th 2022
Nov 22nd 2021
Nov 22nd 2021
Oct 26th 2021
Truro School is part of the Methodist Independent Schools Trust (MIST)
MIST Registered Office: 66 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3LH
Charity No. 1142794
Company No. 7649422