300 g sugar
300 ml water
100 ml Greek honey
1 cinnamon stick
2 strips of orange zest
100 g walnuts
100 g almonds
100 g pistachios
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
200 g butter
1 X 270g packets (12 sheets) of filo pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4.
2. Place the sugar, water, honey, cinnamon stick and orange in a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Let it simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by a third. Leave to cool completely.
3. Blitz the nuts in a food processor until coarse, then tip into a bowl and stir through the cinnamon and cloves.
4. Melt the butter, and use a little of it to lightly grease a 35 x 25cm shallow tin with a pastry brush.
5. Gently unfold the filo and cover with a damp tea towel to stop it cracking.
6. Layer 4 sheets of filo in the tin brushing each layer generously with melted butter, then scatter over half the nut mixture.
7. Repeat this process with 4 layers of filo and the rest of the nuts, although the piece f filo which touches the nuts will need to be brushed both sides with butter.
8. Top in the same way with the last 4 layers of filo, then generously butter the top.
9. Trim any edges of filo which stick out the sides of the tin then cut into diamonds or small squares with a sharp knife, making sure the blade goes right to the bottom.
10. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven on a hot baking sheet for 30–35 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp, reducing the temperature to 170ºC/gas mark 3 if the baklava looks as though it is browning too quickly.
11. Remove the baklava from the oven and spoon half the cooled syrup over the top. Leave for 5 minutes, then spoon over the remaining syrup.
12. Allow the baklava to cool before removing the individual pieces from the tin with a palette knife.
Apr 28th 2022
Nov 22nd 2021
Nov 22nd 2021
Oct 26th 2021