For the cake;
400g bramley apples
225g soft butter or margarine
225g caster sugar
225g self raising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
50g ground almonds
1 teaspoon almond essence
For the apple crumble topping;
1 eating apple
60g plain flour
30g firm butter or margarine
30g soft brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 c / Gas mark 5.
2. Grease and line a 20 x 30 cm shallow traybake/roasting tin.
3. Grate the zest of the lemon and set aside, then cut the lemon in half and squeeze out the juice.
4. Peel the bramley apples, remove the cores, and cut into 1cm cubes. Place into a bowl then tip over the lemon juice and mix well.
5. Place the butter and caster sugar into a large bowl and cream with a wooden spoon or electric hand whisk until light and fluffy.
6. Crack the eggs into a small bowl and mix lightly. Gradually add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture, beating well after each addition.
7. Stir in the lemon zest, then sieve over the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and fold in with a metal spoon.
8. Finally, gently stir in the ground almonds and almond essence.
9, Drain the lemon juice from the apples and stir them into the cake mixture, then spread into the lined tin.
10. To make the crumble topping, place the flour and cinnamon into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips. Next, stir in the brown sugar.
11. Cut the eating apple into four quarters, remove the cores, and slice very thinly.
12. Arrange the apple slices over the top of the cake mixture, and sprinkle over the crumble topping.
13. Bake the traybake in the oven for approximately 40 minutes, until the cake is risen, golden and springs back when gently pressed in the centre.
14. Leave to cool in the tin, then remove and cut into slices.