Date Posted... Oct 6th 2021

1st XV Rugby Success

Congratulations to the 1st XV rugby team for progressing to Round 3 of the national Natwest Schools Vase after a thrilling performance against a strong Mount Kelly.

Mr Sanderson, Director of Sport, writes: An enthralling game between two very well matched teams ended in a dramatic fashion. After Truro School’s success against Plymouth, the 1st XV found themselves in the second round of the national cup for the first time in five years. Drawn against Mount Kelly, who they lost to in a triangular fixture early in the season, the match became a true measure of how far the team had come.

Played in dry but blustery conditions, Mount Kelly made a quick start and scored a well-worked try eight minutes in, conversion missed. Truro School hit back with a penalty from Harvey P, who kicked well despite strong winds. The game was starting to go the way of Mount Kelly, and they extended their lead with a powerful maul try in the corner, with the conversion being missed again. 10-3 down, Truro School woke up and after another penalty from Harvey P, they began to control territory. With clever kicking, they found themselves inside the Mount Kelly 22. There was a scrum on the right-hand side, and the ball was delivered to Ben B. After a quick show and go, he glided through the defence to score under the posts, with Harvey P converting. Half time Truro School 13 – Mount Kelly 10.

Truro School started the second half well, and after riding the initial Mount Kelly storm, the forwards took control. After sustained pressure and a series of quick pick and goes, Truro School scored in the corner four minutes into the half, extending their lead to 18 – 10, with the conversion missed. A reaction from Mount Kelly was inevitable, and with their strong backline moving the ball well and their big forward running through the Truro defence, points for the away side were inevitable. Mount Kelly scored a penalty to make it 18-13 and then a try ten minutes later. Crucially the conversion was missed and the score was 18-18. With extra-time looming, both teams had chances to win it. Truro missed two tough penalty chances from long range kicks, and Mount Kelly could not find the final pass to score. A final chance for Truro with the last play of the game, with a penalty 40 yards out and on the 15m line. Harvey P lined up the kick and players from both teams, parents, supporters and coaches, held their breath. Taking the full minute to compose himself, Harvey P struck his quick beautifully and despite the wind, it bisected the posts and Truro School had won the game in thrilling fashion.

A huge thank you to Mount Kelly, who played great rugby and were magnanimous in defeat. Truro School now progress to play Wellington at home next Wednesday afternoon.”