250g dried medium flat rice noodles
3 tablespoons tamarind paste
3 tablespoons light brown soft sugar
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 red chilli
2 tablespoons oil
2 banana shallots
4 spring onions
100g mange tout
Small bunch of coriander
50g roasted peanuts
200g raw prawns
100g bean sprouts
1 lime, cut into wedges to serve
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Once it is boiling remove from the heat then add the noodles and leave to soak for 15 minutes until just soft.
2. De-seed and finely chop the chilli then place into a small bowl.
3. Add the tamarind paste, sugar, fish sauce and water and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
4. Peel and finely slice the banana shallots and spring onions.
5. Top and tail then finely slice the mange tout into thin shreds.
6. Remove the tough woody stalks from the coriander and roughly chop the remaining leaves and tender stems.
7. Crack the eggs into a small bowl and whisk together with a fork until the yolk and white are well combined.
8. Drain the noodles and rinse in a colander under cold water. After rinsing shake well to remove all the water.
9. Roughly chop the roasted peanuts.
10. Heat the oil in a wok over a medium-high heat. Add the chopped shallots and prawns and cook for 1-2 minutes until the shallots are just starting to colour and the prawns have just turned pink.
11. Add the eggs and stir for 30 seconds.
12. Add the drained noodles and fry for another 30 seconds, stirring to break up the egg.
13. Pour in the tamarind and sugar mixture and simmer until it is absorbed.
14. Add the spring onions, bean sprouts and mange tout and fry for a final 1 minute.
15. Finally stir through half the coriander and half the peanuts.
16. Garnish with the remaining coriander leaves, nuts and lime wedges and serve immediately.