Truro School Chapel is a quiet space within busy school life, providing a sanctuary for reflection and thought.
On the one hand the Chapel reminds the community of its history and its Methodist roots. The Foundation Stone was laid on the 8th June 1927 by the Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall. The memorial plaques from the First and Second World Wars and Boer War honour those who fell during those conflicts. Plus, there is a reminder of the school motto: Esse Quam Videri – “To be rather than to seem to be.”
On the other hand the Chapel also provides opportunities for spiritual expression through music. A magnificent new organ has recently been installed, alongside a Steinway Grand piano. Music means different things to different people and our Chapel frequently comes alive with songs and compositions from passionate musicians throughout the school.
Chapel services are held every week for the different Forms and the Chapel also provides an appropriate setting for the celebration of baptisms, confirmation services and weddings, as well being a place for expressions of grief and sadness when memorial or funeral services are held.
The School Chaplain
Rev Aubin de Gruchy (pictured) is an ordained Methodist minister who moved from South Africa with his family to the United Kingdom and Truro School in 2002. He is a keen sportsman and coaches the mighty Under 13 football side. He is also a keen canoeist.
At school his responsibilities include teaching Religious Education in both the Prep and Senior School, organising and leading chapel, boarders’ and communion services, Christian Union groups, confirmation classes and other support groups. He has been involved with training pupils in the ACHE peer mentoring scheme and is available to staff and pupils in a pastoral capacity.