Introduced in 1921, the Truro School has four School Houses – Vinter, Smith, School and Wickett.
The concept of houses had originally been established at Truro School in 1904 with East, Hall, Tower and Town (for day boys) with the idea of creating fairer competitions in sport. The houses were reformed in 1921 to incorporate all aspects of school life, not just sport. The new names reflected the early life and origins of the school as well as honouring prominent figures in the school’s history.
Herbert W. Vinter (1857-1942).
Herbert W. Vinter retired as headmaster in 1921, a position which he had held since 1890.
Before 1890 he had been Second Master since joining the school in 1883. He was at the time, and still is, the longest serving headmaster of the school.
During his headmastership the school expanded greatly, developing many aspects of modern education, such as science and sports facilities. Vinter was a keen cricketer, ‘a very great gentleman and… a kind and understanding headmaster.’
Sir George Smith of Treliske (1845-1921).
Sir George Smith of Treliske (d.1921) was a former school director and chairman of the school governors.
He was one of seven members of his family to be a governor and supporter of the school. He was a leading figure in the Methodist community in Cornwall, and was knighted in 1897.
His house, Treliske, was bought by the school in 1934 as a boarding house for the youngest boys in the school. It opened in May 1936, and was later renamed Truro School Prep.
Truro School (1880-present) Trennick Lane site (1882-present).
School House was named for Truro College (the name of the school changed to Truro School in 1931). It was also to acknowledge the school’s ethos and its aim to be a leading light in the education of boys in Truro and Cornwall.
James Wickett (c.1861-1921)
Like Sir George Smith, was a long standing governor and supporter of the school.
He had been on the governing board since the school’s foundation in 1879. His sons were among the earliest pupils at the school, and several subsequent generations have also attended the school.
The clock in the school tower was installed in 1938 in memory of his son, Tom, who was also a governor and chairman of the Old Boys’ Association.