Date Posted... Jul 9th 2018



1st Years win County Cup Final

Truro School travelled to Grampound Road Cricket Club for the final of the County Cup against Penrice with the winners becoming County Champions and representing Cornwall in a National Tournament Next Year.

Truro School made a steady start, losing just one wicket early before skipper and star batsman Ted Phillips (24) chipped a tame delivery straight back to the bowler and Loki Newton (8) fell to an unlucky run out. We had to dig in for a few overs and solidify our innings against good bowling, which Joe Thomson and Flynn Mills did well. Soon Penrice came to the end of their stronger bowlers and some slower, looser bowling allowed Joe (24) and Flynn (38) to free their arms and hit the boundary consistently. A good last over from Penrice claimed both Flynn and Joe and limited us to 130 from 20 overs. A solid but vulnerable score.

Our fielding innings started poorly with some wayward bowling and some good batting putting us on the back foot. It would be fair to say that we let the situation and our emotions get the better of us and at the halfway stage Penrice were halfway to our total having lost no wickets. However, we were not going down without a fight. Good tight bowling from Ollie Mount, Jamie Beaman, Ollie Cameron and Ted brought us back into the game and although wickets weren’t coming, the runs were starting to dry up slightly. It was not until the 16th over when Ollie Cameron finally made the breakthrough to give us a chance in the game and lifted our spirits with a good catch from Joe Thomson. From then on, we piled on the pressure keeping runs as tight as possible. When a fantastic piece of fielding between Flynn and Ted took the wicket of their star batsman (52) with nine balls to go, the match was ours to lose. The pressure of the final over fell to Flynn who stood up and took us to victory, conceding just two runs form the over and taking a wicket on the final ball to a catch by keeper Loki Newton.

This was not our best performance of the year by a long shot, but we did what we had to do and got over the line. It was testament to the boys’ mental strength to come back from the situation at half time having dropped a few catches to win by the slimmest of margins. It truly was a spectacular final – possibly the best in 40 years – and every credit goes to the boys for winning it. Thanks must go to ‘Barmy Army’ of parents who came down to watch and support and roared our boys over the line. A great win to finish of a very successful season for the Under 12 Boys. Congratulations!